[Prev][Next][Index]

A question

Sakthi Subramanian wrote:

> Hi, all! This maybe a naive question. But I have always wondered why
> one shouldn't use a proven powerful verification system such as Nqthm
> (Boyer-Moore theorem prover) for specification of programs. After all
> when you verify a program you have to express the specification of the
> program.  Nqthm has been used sucessfully to verify programs in a
> number of languages. So why not use that? Why use systems like Larch
> and LP which are specifically geared only to express specifications and
> not verification? Of course there are cosmetic differences like one is
> a typed language and the other is not, etc. But I think these can be
> ignored.

This question is interesting indeed,
however I would reformulate it as follows:

how can a specifier choose a logical framework
and/or a theorem proving tool to help in
expressing and analyzing
and checking a specification document?

are there any papers comparing the expressivity
of theorem proving tools and logical frameworks
from the point of view of sw engineering?
I know several papers comparing for instance Z and VDM and Larch,
and some papers showing how a specific theorem prover
(eg LP, PVS, HOL, Isabelle, Ergo, etc.) can
be used say for proving Larch or Z or Unity formulae
(thus helping in the analysis of a formal document
written with those formalisms),
but how can we, as "formal" sw engineers,
know which tool is useful for what?
Is this a correct and interesting question?

Many thanks for any answer.

Paolo

--
Prof. Paolo Ciancarini
Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Bologna